Yesterday I wrote about native people sharing there ways of ceremony for other natives. Is there other ways we might be able to share each others knowledge and wisdom without corrupting what we feel is sacred? I think it is possible, to walk that harmonious path without losing ones culture or the customs of ones tribe. To walk in a humble and sacred manner takes years of dedication on the Red road. It is not a path that should be taken lightly or just a brief stint at getting ones feet wet. There is no quick way of spiritual fulfillment, it isn't Burger King, where you can have it your way, and to-go. The people I have participated in ceremonies with, take the native ways seriously and know that there is no quick way of spiritual enlightenment. The Sioux (Lakota), don't seem to want other natives to practice there customs outside of there area of the plains. I might be wrong about this, yet Arvol Looking Horse seems to be asking that there "ways" should be practiced by lakotas.
On the most part, the people I have participated with are of mixed descent and a few of them are white. How can I say no to someone who has the same blood as mine (in part), my own children have white descendants in there blood. They are no less than any FBI, and I will not turn my back on them. Whether you are a FBI or part native, I have seen people do things that is questionable, and maybe morally wrong. They still participate in ceremonies, and some still run ceremonies. We don't necessary stop them from doing this, because in-part, it wasn't a crime, and we are running low on people to perform these ceremonies. Who or what do we turn to when we need help? The great spirit, yet I can not always get the spirit to pour the water and sing the songs. I have to rely on myself or someone available to help with the ceremony. I have participated with full on white people who ran the ceremony, and it went great. They were very humble and respectful people with a understanding of our culture. They have good hearts and there actions was always with a good thought towards the native peoples. They are no less than you or I, yet they are the exception, not the rule.
We, as a people, are scared of losing our identity, and our rights, and with good reason. It has already happened to us, and it has taken a long time to get them back. We need to be cautious with our ceremonies and ways, it is our identity after all. So how do we protect our ways without losing our identity? Don't know for certain, yet it is the spiritual heritage that can not be contained to one individual or a peoples. Spiritual heritage is individualistic in nature, cannot be owned, sold, or bartered with. We do not own the wind, sky, sun, or all of those things that are spirit. We can only let the individual, figure it out on there own, how it works. We do not have to share the knowledge, or tools, if we don't feel the need to. It is your right what to share or not to share. For me I'm hesitant to share, there are people that are morally corrupt and also immature to properly use these different medicines. When someone uses medicines against other people that would cause harm , I don't want to be around them. They generally have no ears to hear, and there mind is not always firing in the right order.
The healing of the people is starting to bring the people together, yet there is a long ways to go. There are a lot of problems that need to be healed within our own peoples and the total healing will take many years. What do we do when someone wants to reconnect with this Earth and remember what those connections were for them? I don't want to turn away someone who needs the help, it might be there last hope. My own hope is that all people can heal, and reconnect with there higher power. Maybe then we can all live the life that is in harmony with this earth. I can only hope we can get past our differences, and our hearts are filled with love and compassion for one another. Aho, all my relations
10 comments:
I agree with all that has been said and I appreciate your concerns with keeping the native culture alive. However, there are those non-natives that you speak of who are respectful and use the ceremonies as they are taught by the natives - keeping as the ancestors have done for hundreds of years. You see, I don't think this is a matter of descent anymore the blood of us all is too mixed. It has come to a matter of content of character and true intent to do good in a humble and selfless way. Sam taught us the native way and we practice it exactly the way he instructed, no alterations of any kind for any reason. It is simple and clean. However, I am skeptical about participating in any other ceremony native or not - unless I know them, or they have been referred by people I can trust. I believe there has to be much caution when you start to make divides due to race. It's all about the individuals true compassion and honesty to do for others. Praying with the medicine will help you to see those that are true. Wishing you long life and good health as you journey to find the truth. Aho!
Thanks for your kind words and wisdom. I too am skeptical about participating with certain ceremonial leaders as there intent isn't what it should be. You are right on about the blood being too mixed up, thanks for the dialogue.
If what Arvol is saying is true then I would gladly step away from the ceremony because I have light skin, if it would bring back the buffalo, if it would heal the Lakota Nation for me to stop doing the ceremony, if the Lakota Elders say this is how it has to be to save the Lakota Children, if my going into a sundance meant the end of the Lakota Nation, I would step back and never do it again, yet, I'm having a very hard time understanding this, I love this Land, I have blood lines that run through this land from the beginning, does this mean I must find another way to pray to them, maybe it is confusing to me because I was not brought up on a Rez, and my blood lines are mixed up, I was blessed with knowing good and sincere Native people that do these ceremonies in a good way, and shared them with nothing but love for this land and the people that love this land and are willing to walk this walk. Yet, I know for a fact, that The Cherokee have certain Ceremony that only full bloods can attend, and some ceremony that all may attend, it is not really my place to judge these elders and their decision, yet for me, it all seems very heartbreaking, I will continue my prayer and my love for the first people of this land and there ceremony no matter what happens, I will respect these elders and what they are saying and continue my prayer the best way I can.
I don't feel stepping back will bring any of those things back. Sweat lodges go farther back the anyone can claim as there own. Same could be said about the sundance, but that is neither here nor there. I feel more people should participate (especially natives) in ceremonies to bring back the balance to the people. A lot of work and prayers are needed on these subjects. Aho all my relations
Thanks for this dialogue. I would like to say, as a non-native, I grew up in North America, roamed the woods as a child, learned to hunt and fish and gather wild plants. This land is part of my heart, it is my home. I have always felt uncomfortable going to Native ceremonies because I felt ashamed and like I didn't belong, but I have always felt a deep connection to the land and if allowed would hope that I, or those non-native with the same heart, could participate in ceremonies that might help to bring people together and bring peace and brotherhood/sisterhood to all people.
My two cents,
Thomas
I, too, appreciate all this dialog. My belief is that we are all one people living on the same mother earth. Separation and exclusion are the ways of humans, not spirit. I was taught that these ceremonies are for the benefit of all people, and I was taught that by full-blooded native American medicine people. So keep in mind that there are a lot of native people out there who believe in sharing these sacred ways and ceremonies. . . to teach, to practice and the lead . . . because by helping others establish a solid connection and relationship to Spirit, it helps all people. There are too many people, native and non native, who are lost, without any knowledge, understanding or connection to their own culture, ceremonies, ancestors and elders. It does not serve anyone to say, “Go back to your own country and your own ways.” This is their country and they are deeply connected to this land. Why do you think they are so hungry for these native ways? Because these native ways are earth based, and that’s where Spirit lives . . in nature.. The spirits of this land are calling all of us to come back to her and I thank those native ceremonial leaders who are listening and facilitating that call. When you are deeply connected to the land, you can no longer destroy it.
Still, I am happy for those people who have their culture in tact and want to preserve it. I respect and honor their decision to exclude all others. I wish them success in what they are trying to do.
As for the plastic medicine people, there is nothing new about that. There have always been people out there ready to abuse and misuse power wherever they find it, not just in native sacred ceremonies but in all other people’s sacred ceremonies and in all aspects of life. I don’t see closing off ceremonies as a solution. I see helping people to establish a strong personal connection to Spirit as the only way solve that problem. Then they won’t be fooled or mislead.
This was written by Black Elk, Oglala Siux....And I say, the sacred hoop of my people - was one of the many hoopes that make One Circle - Wide - as daylight and as Starlight.
I think it comes down to whether you believe all people are related: black, red, white, yellow. If you truly believe and understand that in your heart, then you probably shouldn't turn anyone away
anonymous, All people are related, and I do accept all nations in ceremony. However, there are some people that from time to time, that I would ask not to participate. Sometimes people are not there to support, but to interrupt and bring in there own agenda.
Aside from this blog. Who are you anyway? You have made references that you know me, and certain details that only a few would know. You can just email me if you want. curious, but your privacy is up up you.
Sorry, the "you" didn't mean you personally. And I should have expanded my thought to say "shouldn't turn anyone away due to race". I agree that there are people who should not participate in ceremony for various reasons, like drug and alcohol abuse, chaotic energy, bad or distruptive intent. The leader can make that determination with the help of Spirit.
Post a Comment