Indian stuff

My thoughts and opinions on Native issues in America.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Arvol

What does arvol lookinghorse want from the sioux people?  It seems to me, that he would like the sioux people to help each other out, give them a helping hand, educating them in ceremonies.  Sometimes we need help with the instructions on how to run ceremonies no matter how basic or complex they are.  Such as, how to hold the pipe, when do you sing a particuler song, I am not sure.  please check this pdf file  From Chief Arvol Looking Horse:
Mitakuye,
Since the statement of protecting our ceremonies, there have been many issues that
have come out. Many people reporting on one another, many people arguing for the
participation of non-natives, many non-natives telling me that I am a dictator of
these ways. I see this as good and bad, because I now see since these reports,
there is a much bigger problem then I ever knew in concern of the violations. Even
more reports of deaths, charging, molestation and mixing of other beliefs, this must
stop! These violations are affecting our children's health, many of our children
ending their life with suicide. They do not feel that ceremonial energy that was
meant for them. The People in these hoc'okas need to become stronger and
connected with our children's needs to survive. This Bundle is our way the Creator
gave us to help us survive with spirituality. It is all about transferring spiritual
energy for health for your loved ones and thinking of 7 generations to come. These
prayers also go out to the world, for all Mitakuye Oyasin
I don't like the division, but again when was the last time we really united. I would
rather see our people, even if there are only a few, unite strong and understand
what this all about, to stand with me for these ways to be protected, so this Bundle
can stay for our future generations. These sacred protocols were always there. The
teacher is the Grandfathers. There was nothing new in my statement. The only thing
that changed was allowing other Native People whose Nations come from this same
ma-co-c'e (land) to participate in Sundance and vision quest. Their Ancestors
understood the values and traditions of ceremony in the connection to this Turtle
Island. I have known in our history that we shared our ways with other Nations with
respect. Our people would intermarry with other Native Nations, they would become
a Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Oyate. It was the same when our woman married another
Nation's man, because we have the same teachings and bloodline to this ma-co-c'e.
I have heard native and non-native people fully understand my statement, yet many
are misinterpreting the statement, because they don't want to see the truth and how
it affects them. Many have wanted me to re-explain what all this means with the
decision. The decision was based on many years of the Elders coming to me with
dreams and concerns of what is going on. I waited to make another statement, to
allow time to bring things out and open the eyes of the people to look at what is
happening with our sacred ways. Just how serious these things have become, has
now been revealed.
I will explain the things that people have been questioning. First, I understand that
there have been people at the meeting that are talking about not agreeing with my
decision. I announced my decision in Lakota that has a much larger meaning. During
the meeting, that was taped, Sam Moves Camp stated that I make a decision after
all the issues were discussed. Yet I am getting word from non-natives that they have
talked to some Men at the meeting and they were told that they did not agree. Yet
no one said anything after I spoke. These Men are only a few. I guess they have
learned how this affects them after the statement went out, so they backed away.
Some of the people getting back to me are reporting the misuse of their friendship
with these Men and other Men that call themselves Intercessors. They have
questioned how they could agree with this decision even when they do these
violations themselves. I still stand by these Lakota Men and have to work with them.
I don't feed that negative energy. We are the Buffalo Nation and I will not report
them, it is up to these people to correct these things themselves. The Buffalo
teaching is to stand around one that has fallen and help them stand, these ways
belong to them, even if they have become lost The other need is to establish our
strong Societies again to deal with these matters. Those Society men who are
compassionate and walk in a respectful manner, yet strong in their energy with
spiritual guidance to correct these violations in an honorable way.
I stated the only Government protection of our ways is the Eagle Feather Law,
because we are dealing with non-native participation that do not honor our spiritual
laws that are in place. This only law is when only enrolled members can own this
sacred item for ceremonial use. The feather represents knowledge and you have to
earn this for any part of our ceremonies. I realize that during the 1900's many of
our people were taken away from their families. I have participated in providing a
healing ceremony for adoptees. Many are even full bloods and can not find their
families. We can still find a way to provide our people in recognition of their right to
their identity. Those that know their lineage can still prove their bloodline, our
intermarrying with other Nations is not that old that it can not be found. In the
mean time, we need to continue to focus on the protection that is available now.
That first teaching of bloodline came when the first Keeper was told by Pte Skan
Win that the Bundle must stay in the bloodline and passed down through a vision or
dream from the Keeper. So it is the same teaching of our Native Bloodline with the
ceremonies.
My position is the Keeper of the Bundle that consists of the 7 Sacred Rites I am
being responsible to remind the Oyate that these ways are being violated. Even to a
degree that in 1979, when we were bringing out the Sacred C'anupa, we received a
warning in ceremony from the Grandfathers, that if these abuses continued, they
would leave. We decided to put away the Bundle for 7 years from 1980-87 and get
the word out that we were warned. We could be just another Nation, with no
identity, no cultural language, no cultural way of life and we could probably loose
our reservations and Sacred Sites.
Pte-Ska Win told us her spirit would stand upon Mother Earth in the future, these
signs have been coming every year since 1994, with the births of the white buffalo
calves. This is a blessing, to see the reminder that the Bundle she brought is still
here for us, but yet it is also a warning. If you remember she came the first time
when we were having a hard time of starvation, the buffalo disappeared, because
we forgot the buffalo teachings of honoring the Creator in the way we walk. We
have forgotten these important teachings once again.
I stated that I can not dictate to the Spiritual Leaders who they allow to attend and
support ceremonies, who they feel they need to doctor or where they travel. This
was to only remind that the white brothers and sisters, they can still attend and
pray with us at a ceremony, if the Spiritual Leader allows this. Again it is the
hoc'oka, the center, where our Oyate stand, that needs to be protected. This is also
a reminder even with our own people, they need to prepare their life to stand in
that alter and learn these protocols of a drug and alcohol free life They must have a
calling that is be interpreted in ceremony, to at least begin to learn the language
and not give in to English. The language is very important in communicating with the
Grandfathers. When I attended the UN Indigenous Day with representatives from
Indigenous Nations from around the world, they discussed the criteria to maintain
our voice in the protection of our Sacred Sites and cultural identity. All agreed it was
to maintain the language. Don't give up your ways because you don't know how to
speak yet. You can learn as you go along and this sacred language will come back
for your Tiospaye.
We are the only Indigenous Nation in the world that has opened our sacred
ceremonials, of the alter, out to the public. Now we are seeing the abuse and
violations. Anyone can read a book or get close to our ceremonial people, then go
out and practice our ways without proper protocols.
Racism is when a race is not given a right because of color of skin in American
Society. These sacred instructions were given to our People's Society, as many other
Nations were given their own. If that were the case, then all the other Indigenous
Nations that protect their sacred ways would be racist. Our Nation's protection of
these sacred ways is prayers of strength for all Mitakuye Oyasin. Indigenous People
understand these boundaries of protection. Iktomi is always there to trick us. It is
our responsibility to protect the life of our Lakota, Dakota, Nakota, future
generations. This gift belongs to them, from the Creator.
I would like to remind you of a time when we can all gather at the Sacred Sites, with
"all Nations, all faiths, one prayer", no matter how we believe in the Creator, of
World Peace and Prayer Day, June 21st. This is a time when you find your own
individual connection to our Unc'I Maka (Grandmother earth), from your heart, your
own sacred site. We need to give thanks and offer our prayers for her to heal.
In a Sacred Hoop of life, where there is no beginning and no ending!
He-c'e-tu-ye-lo,
Mitakuye Oyasin,
Chief Arvol Looking Horse,
19th Generation Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe
"MITAKUYE OYASIN" STARWOMAN

5 comments:

amber said...

Thanks for posting this so more people can learn.

amber said...

Okay so is he saying that because non Lakota people have been allowed in Lakota ceremony then these non Lakota people are "stealing" sacred energy from the young people who are in turn dying? My apologies, but what I understand about spirit (my tiny comprehension) is that it doesn't work like that.

Val said...

The Lakota people are a beautiful people, yet I read of so much sorry and depression and sadness on the Lakota Rez and many other Reservations, it seems to me that they are afraid of loosing who they are, so will the Cheyenne and other Indian Nation try to follow Arvol on this, it all seems very sad to me, I mean if you were born on this land and you are of mix white and Indian or some part Indian there in and you love all Indian People of this land and respect the spiritual ways of this land and you have gone through these ceremonies already, that now, you are just left out in the cold going now what, so let me see here, I'm mix blood, and I look more European than Indian, and because of this I can no longer do the ceremonies I have come to love with my very being, sooooo, what to do...I know, I will find a Lakota Indian man and marry him, I will have children that will look Indian more the me, perhaps they will be able to go into the ceremony, because there blood is more Lakota now, so then those children marry Lakota's again, and the children look like they have no European blood, but wait, when you do your family history, you will have European Ancestors, dang, should it even really matter....is that really the problem here?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this sensitive topic. I can't help but notice that most of the attention is being pointed towards Arvol Looking Horse and the Lakota people, for being the ones to start this declaration of war on exploiters of native spirituality.
When actually the declaration was started by Cheyenne headsman and arrow priest Bernard RedCherries. Below is a link to the original declaration that Arvol and the Lakota people voted against. Not wanting to get the government involved by amending the freedom of native american religions act.

http://www.linkcenterfoundation.org/wambliho/BernardRedCherries_Ann2_May03.html

Viho Rapak said...

The spiritual war (indian jihad) against non-lakota-dakota-nakota has been an on-going saga for decades. Everyone that wants to say they started it has usually been those who came later. Heres one instance: http://www.aics.org/war.html

However, lets understand one thing. 99.9% of these indian spiritualists have no clue about their indian spiritual doctrine. They always refer to more rhetoric about non-indian spiritual assimulation rather then explaining their own spiritual roots. They are usually the generation of indians who were born after their parents were spiritually conquered and spiritual submission became their way of life. Whether its Arvol Lookinghorse, Bernard Redcherries, Dennis Banks, Obama..i.e. They are all without merit since they can not seem to explain what their spiritual doctrine is. Realistically, they are racists and egocentrically involved to promote and further their own ignorant agendas and not of the spiritual fortitude needed in America. They care little, or not, for hippies, whites, africans, asians or any non-indian. If they could even assist 1 Americans with their spiritual worth, do you think they would keep attempting to undermind the real indian spiritual leader of this land? They have no clue.